One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small organ of balance and orientation in some aquatic invertebrates, consisting of a sensory vesicle or cell containing statoliths.Also called otocyst
- ‘Acanthaster planci are insensitive to touch and gravity, as they lack statocysts.’
- ‘There are tiny sense organs called statocysts with which food can be detected, but otherwise no trace of eyes or other features normally associted with a head.’
- ‘In addition, the association of statocysts with mechanoreceptors further suggests that these ancient sense organs are distantly related to the vertebrate ear, linking sight and sound.’
- ‘These statocysts are filled with fluid and lined with sensory cells.’
- ‘Turbellarians sense their environment with statocysts, chemoreceptors, and photoreceptors.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.