One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small organ of balance and orientation in some aquatic invertebrates, consisting of a sensory vesicle or cell containing statoliths.Also called otocyst
- ‘There are tiny sense organs called statocysts with which food can be detected, but otherwise no trace of eyes or other features normally associted with a head.’
- ‘Acanthaster planci are insensitive to touch and gravity, as they lack statocysts.’
- ‘These statocysts are filled with fluid and lined with sensory cells.’
- ‘Turbellarians sense their environment with statocysts, chemoreceptors, and photoreceptors.’
- ‘In addition, the association of statocysts with mechanoreceptors further suggests that these ancient sense organs are distantly related to the vertebrate ear, linking sight and sound.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.