One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The practice or science of collecting and analyzing numerical data in large quantities, especially for the purpose of inferring proportions in a whole from those in a representative sample.
facts, figures, details, particulars, specifics, featuresView synonyms
- ‘He applied mathematical statistics to economics, using nonparametric methods.’
- ‘This paper is perhaps the first application of probability to social statistics.’
- ‘No centralized statistics are collected on the use of these powers.’
- ‘Fréchet also made important contributions to statistics, probability and calculus.’
- ‘It is difficult to know how much, because the Government simply does not collect statistics on it.’
- ‘After only a year at Sussex, Kingman was promoted to a chair of mathematics and statistics in 1966.’
- ‘Each year the Home Office collects and publishes statistics on the numbers and species of animals used.’
- ‘Aitken's mathematical work was in statistics, numerical analysis, and algebra.’
- ‘His main research topics were number theory, probability theory and mathematical statistics.’
- ‘Pillai's research was in statistics, in particular in multivariate statistical analysis.’
- ‘He, as Poisson and Condorcet did, applied probability to legal statistics.’
- ‘Data can be stored and interpreted using wavelets, probability and statistics.’
- ‘Network providers collect statistics and send alarms when there is a drop in service.’
- ‘Bortkiewicz was critical of the approach of Karl Pearson to statistics.’
- ‘Eurostat is the organisation responsible for collecting and selling statistics and data about the EU.’
- ‘Brignell's book is a handy demolition of the science and statistics behind this epidemic of epidemiology.’
- ‘After the Second World War, van Dantzig changed topics and worked on probability and statistics.’
- ‘Wyllie left Newcastle University in 1980 with a degree in computing science and statistics.’
- ‘The briefing was about the issue of how immigration statistics are collected.’
- ‘Wald was working on statistics and probability and he persuaded Lukacs to take an interest in this topic too.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.