One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of drugs that act to reduce levels of fats, including triglycerides and cholesterol, in the blood.
- ‘With reduced levels of cholesterol, statins also inhibit the synthesis of bile acids.’
- ‘Some of the patients in each group were also treated with a statin to lower blood cholesterol.’
- ‘The current stars in this field are the cholesterol-lowering drugs known as statins.’
- ‘Health chiefs say that the level of cholesterol lowering drugs, statins, prescribed by GPs, has exceeded predicted levels.’
- ‘Use of aspirin and statins lowers C-reactive protein levels, but so does weight loss.’
1980s: from stat- as in -stat + -in.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.