One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A skilled, experienced, and respected political leader or figure.
senior politician, stateswoman, respected political figure, elder statesman, political leader, national leader, grand old man, gomView synonyms
- ‘Minor world leaders get to be statesmen for a day, and tell their parliaments and electors that they are taking part in a world summit.’
- ‘It's the outlaws and rebels that history often prefers to remember rather than the statesmen and leaders.’
- ‘An extraordinary spiritual leader and a courageous statesman is no more.’
- ‘The difference between a politician and a statesman is the degree of common sense and courage shown in difficult times.’
- ‘Not only politicians and statesmen have the opportunity to practice creative speech.’
- ‘A politician thinks of the next race, a statesman of the next generation.’
- ‘The statesmen and foreign dignitaries have departed - but the World Summit show is not quite over.’
- ‘He frequently dined out and, over the years, entertained a great variety of guests, from fellow impressionist artists to statesmen.’
- ‘The two statesmen signed an agreement to establish a bi-national commission between South Africa and Brazil.’
- ‘He would like to see state and federal elected officials become statesmen not politicians.’
- ‘Responsible statesmen and stateswomen are not merely free, as sovereign rulers, to act in an expedient way.’
- ‘From now on, our leaders, our politicians, our statesmen will be fair game too.’
- ‘For these are times when we expect our politicians to metamorphose into statesmen.’
- ‘Northcliffe travelled widely and consorted freely with statesmen and politicians not to mention royalty.’
- ‘Now the attempt is being made to present him as a political statesman and martyr.’
- ‘He called for more effort on the part of all statesmen, politicians and church leaders to resolve the schism in the Orthodox church.’
Late 16th century: from state's man, translating French homme d'état.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.