One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small state, especially one that is closely affiliated with or has emerged from the breakup of a larger state.
- ‘During the negotiations in Geneva, GAM leaders took a step toward dropping their previous demand for an independent statelet in northern Sumatra.’
- ‘None of these statelets has a seat at the United Nations.’
- ‘GAM based its perspective above all on the possibility of winning great power backing for an independent statelet.’
- ‘This program has shattered the very existence of the nominally independent statelets set up in the 1970s and 1980s.’
- ‘It was an amalgamation of independent German kingdoms, fiefdoms, and statelets, lightly bound together with no revenue, army, courts, or police.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.