One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The status of being a recognized independent nation.‘the transition from late colonialism to political statehood’
- ‘Is nationality or statehood a more profound contemporary concept than tradition?’
- ‘Ukrainian peasants turned inwards as centralized power broke down, yet their identification with the Ukrainian nation was strengthened as a result of independent statehood.’
- ‘The notions of statehood, community and national allegiances are all held up for examination, and he is especially scathing about the development of the British Empire.’
- ‘When World War I and the Russian revolution shattered the Habsburg and Russian empires, Ukrainians declared independent statehood.’
- ‘In fact, the labour movement was the major driving force in the struggle for statehood and independence.’
- ‘Western Province leaders have given the Solomons Island government one year to recognise their statehood, or they will declare independence.’
- ‘Issues of national identity and statehood shaped attitudes to common defence.’
- ‘The struggle to achieve statehood for a given nation was the driving force behind nineteenth-century nationalism.’
- ‘Their aspirations for independent statehood has been consistently frustrated since the days of the Ottoman Empire.’
- ‘The film is narrated against the backdrop of the tribal movement in the Jharkhand region in the 1980s demanding an identity for the community and claiming statehood of their own.’
- 1.1 The status of being a state of the US.‘a proposed referendum on statehood for Puerto Rico’
- ‘Texas became independent and later applied to the United States for statehood.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.