One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The most recent stage in the development of a product, incorporating the newest ideas and the most up-to-date features.
- ‘The state of the art in factoring has advanced tremendously in the last 30 years.’
- ‘In the 1950's C. Miller Fisher.. proposed that anastomosis, or joining, of cerebral arteries beyond the point of occlusion might be appropriate in some stroke cases, but such manipulations were then still beyond the state of the art.’
- ‘From this point of view, the use of simplified model systems is an unavoidable stage within the present state of the art.’
- ‘If you guys wanna see the state of the art right now in the Montreal music scene: Natalie Portman.’
- 1.1as adjective state-of-the-art Incorporating the newest ideas and the most up-to-date features.‘a new state-of-the-art hospital’
modern, ultra-modern, futuristic, avant-garde, the latest, new, the newest, up to the minuteView synonyms
- ‘‘We consider it's real state of the art,’ says the project director, Peter Lundhus.’
- ‘All four of Pixar's films have been critical favourites, and have been absolutely state of the art in terms of animation.’
- ‘The state-of-the-art vehicles are part of a fleet of almost 200 tough, all-terrain cargo vehicles destined for 3 Commando Brigade.’
- ‘Remarkable for the time, the production process in the new distillery was state of the art in terms of continuous distillation.’
- ‘Cheap to produce, these simple gadgets and engineering projects - many devised by the locals - may not be state of the art.’
- ‘A new £1.6m state-of-the art visitor centre has opened its doors at Dawyck Botanic Garden (Scotland), one of four botanic gardens of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh.’
- ‘It is not state of the art - Class 47s have long been superseded by HSTs, tilting trains and TGVs.’
- ‘But the facilities were state of the art, and soon Sister Ellen and her colleagues were helping a new generation into the world.’
- ‘He said the new kitchen is much more modern and state of the art, and will be much more efficient for workers and kitchen personnel.’
- ‘This production method was state of the art back in 1966, and still is very difficult to master today.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.