One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The building where a state legislature meets.
- ‘In the summer and fall of 2003, the Democrats and Republicans were locked in a protracted political struggle over who would control the state house in Sacramento.’
- ‘It was in this period that Paine began to develop plans for an iron bridge and exhibited a model of one at the Pennsylvania state house.’
- ‘He said he fully backed the NAACP's campaign in South Carolina to get the flag removed from the state house.’
- ‘Everyone going into a state house, he asserted, ‘should understand that it is not a lifetime entitlement.’’
- ‘As is well known, he has presided over more than 130 executions during his tenure in the Texas state house.’
- ‘The state legislature in Maine passed a similar resolution, as did the state house of representatives in Hawaii.’
- ‘Not that mercy was a defining characteristic of Bush's six years in the Texas state house, when he put more prisoners to death than any other governor in modern US history.’
- ‘Overseeing the Democrats is John Wertheim, a lawyer in Albuquerque; he replaces Joni Gutierrez, who quit to run for the state house from Las Cruces.’
- ‘They fear a genuinely popular movement against the policies of the extreme right far more than a Republican takeover of the state house.’
- ‘Then we need to keep track of what those politicians actually do, when they get to the city hall, or the county assembly, or the state house, or Congress.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.