A political system in which the state has control of production and the use of capital.
- ‘Its exponents want a modernising revolution from above, pioneered by both business and the government, promoting state capitalism.’
- ‘There are debates to be had among revolutionaries and socialists, for example on the permanent revolution, or on state capitalism.’
- ‘What Chirac (and a large portion of the French Left) are calling for is a form of welfare state capitalism that is distinctively French.’
- ‘It is difficult to see how, under the conditions of capitalist globalization, African socialism could be much more than a form of state capitalism where bureaucracies try to run the economy with very limited resources.’
- ‘He did not step up economic liberalization, professing a policy of state capitalism.’