One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Belonging to, funded by, and controlled by the government.‘state-owned energy companies’
state, national, federal, governmentView synonyms
- ‘Of the large trading companies that were under nationalized ownership at the beginning of the 1980s, only the Post Office remains state-owned.’
- ‘In 1998, they began operating the state-owned Mount Sunapee ski area, in New Hampshire.’
- ‘There are a number of joint ventures between state-owned and locally owned private firms.’
- ‘Two-thirds of the company's corporate customers in China are state-owned enterprises.’
- ‘By 1975 there were about 115 such schools, state-owned or church-run.’
- ‘France 2, a state-owned channel, broadcasts its news at the same time, and gambled on his resigning.’
- ‘He works for a state-owned publishing house which is in the process of going out of business.’
- ‘The state-owned company remains the monopoly train operator on the main lines, although secondary routes are put out to competitive tender.’
- ‘This results in inefficient distribution that causes state-owned enterprises to be rigid.’
- ‘State-owned enterprises, numbering well over 3,000, still employed 45 per cent of Poland's industrial workforce in 1998.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.