One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pistol used to give the signal for the start of a race.
- ‘The gun is thought to be a starting pistol or blank-firing replica.’
- ‘Police were today investigating after an Olympic starting pistol was thrown over a wall into Chelmsford Prison.’
- ‘As Tony Blair fired the starting pistol today, months after the runners hared off down the campaign trail, the public met the news with a weary shrug of resignation.’
- ‘The woman who fired the starting pistol is Janet Reuben - she's English - who is chief executive of Ayrshire and Arran Tourist Board.’
- ‘The 29-year-old rally star came out from behind the wheel to fire the starting pistol on a new series of The Discovery Channel's Thunder Races 2 with co-presenter Adrian Simpson.’
- ‘It is feared that ‘minor’ criminals such as muggers are arming themselves with starting pistols and other legally-bought guns, which are then altered to become lethal weapons.’
- ‘President Bush has fired the starting pistol on a new arms race.’
- ‘And as soon as the starting pistol was fired readers raced to the telephone and email to put me in the picture.’
- ‘The bill amends provisions relating to the importation of firearms, parts of firearms, restricted weapons, starting pistols, and ammunition.’
- ‘Motson, for instance, will now almost certainly be rethinking the wisdom of his decision to fire the starting pistol for the main race.’
- ‘The starting pistol has been fired in the race to find brilliant businesses in the borough.’
- ‘A student firing a starting pistol dashed towards the Prince at an open air event in Sydney.’
- ‘Officers also recovered a starting pistol with ammunition and two imitation firearms.’
- ‘But Celtic have heard only one gun all season: the SPL starting pistol back in July.’
- ‘Embu fired the starting pistol on its entertainment entry last May.’
- ‘Prosecutor Gavin Howie explained how the offences came to light after Customs officers at Dover became suspicious about a package containing a blank-firing starting pistol.’
- ‘The decision by internet search engine Google to file for an initial public offering will be the starting pistol for a new boom in technology shares.’
- ‘Irate, he returned some hours later with a gun, which turned out to be a starting pistol.’
- ‘Months of speculation were about to end today as Prime Minister Tony Blair was expected to fire the starting pistol on the General Election campaign.’
- ‘The weapon he sold me was a pistol - just an ordinary starting pistol that you can buy in any sport shop, but it had been converted.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.