One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in science fiction) a large manned spaceship used for interstellar travel.
- ‘All combat-ready starships are ordered to proceed to Alpha Centauri immediately.’
- ‘They use some sort of Transdimensional drive on their starships to travel through open space.’
- ‘Because of Federation starships in orbit, they were able to pick the missile off from deep space, causing minimal damage.’
- ‘We utilized these starships to travel the galaxy and encounter new species, which became either one of our adversaries or one of our allies.’
- ‘Yet, perhaps, a century from today, someone using Gates' equations will be able to build starships and make what we know as science fiction in 2001 an everyday reality.’
- ‘The men carried plasma carbines, which were better suited than were rifles to the close combat inside the corridors of space stations and starships.’
- ‘Well, ask Captain Janeway of the starship Voyager if she can tell the difference between warp five and warp six.’
- ‘Most of the early evacuated starships from Jupiter and Saturn have already landed next to their own Venus establishment.’
- ‘They have two kilometer long starships orbiting the planet and soldiers in every city!’
- ‘Starship Dimensions is a great site that shows the relative sizes of starships from various Science Fiction series.’
- ‘He manages to escape the barren planet, commandeers a starship, and seeks to exact his revenge on Kirk.’
- ‘They make their move when an exhausted Bastila is traveling aboard the Republic starship the Endar Spire.’
- ‘They're moving starships into blockage positions.’
- ‘Some of the crates were the size of small starships, one or two possibly containing a vehicle for travel in the vacuum of space.’
- ‘The huge distances between Earth and the nearest star make it necessary for us to conceive of extremely high-velocity starships if interstellar travel is to be possible with durations less than a human lifetime.’
- ‘The story ended with Sam boarding a starship commanded by Sirians who may be able to aid in defeating the villain.’
- ‘We take you beyond the confines of starships and space stations to Starfleet Academy, an alien colony, a desert planet, swamps, an icy planet, and even to a hellish realm.’
- ‘Tanen turned the starship around and launched a swarm of missiles towards the enemy.’
- ‘They boarded the runner that would take them to the starship in orbit.’
- ‘In this future setting mankind transposed modern nautical and naval terminology to their spacefaring starships.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.