One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The national flag of the US. It has 13 horizontal stripes, alternating red and white, which represent the original Thirteen Colonies. In the upper left corner is a field of blue with 50 white stars, which represent the 50 states.
- ‘He looked around, expecting to see the Stars and Stripes fluttering from a nearby roof but could see nothing, only that black ripple of a shadow dancing on the wall.’
- ‘They know that not every fashionable young man wants to don a T-shirt with the Stars and Stripes.’
- ‘On the wall behind was hung the Union Jack and the Stars and Stripes.’
- ‘Democrats and Republicans were praising Ronald Reagan because he had made it okay to fly the Stars and Stripes again.’
- ‘Pledging allegiance to the Stars and Stripes has nothing to do with it.’
- ‘CNN, NBC and ABC all made great play of The Stars and Stripes being hoisted atop the Sydney Harbour Bridge.’
- ‘He took to wearing a Stars and Stripes pin in his lapel.’
- ‘The picture of the Stars and Stripes being raised over Iwo Jima's Mount Suribachi made photographer Joe Rosenthal a household name after the war.’
- ‘One marine wrapped his face in the Stars and Stripes.’
- ‘Today, Americans have adopted the Stars and Stripes not so much as a symbol of defiance against an aggressor but as an emblem for their grief and mourning for what happened.’
- ‘When soldiers show up wearing the Stars and Stripes on their shoulders, people know what to expect.’
- ‘Right now, that is what the Stars and Stripes does for this country.’
- ‘The Stars and Stripes would fly as it had flown the day before, and as it had under Clinton or Eisenhower.’
- ‘The Stars and Stripes were raised over Texas, Oregon, California, and the Southwest.’
- ‘Moments earlier, the Stars and Stripes was controversially burned in the middle of Oxford.’
- ‘But come the resumption it was America and the Stars and Stripes that were flying high.’
- ‘The Stars and Stripes was burnt in a dozen capital cities.’
- ‘Yesterday bouquets of lilies, pansies and white roses adorned its steps, flanked by a union flag and the Stars and Stripes.’
- ‘The protesters staged their own rituals by burning the Stars and Stripes.’
- ‘A plastic glass, plates, or paper napkins donning the Stars and Stripes add a festive mood.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.