One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A marine echinoderm with five or more radiating arms. The undersides of the arms bear tube feet for locomotion and, in predatory species, for opening the shells of mollusks.
- ‘Sea urchins and starfish are the last and most obvious group of marine creatures lurking to catch unwary and clumsy humans.’
- ‘Scattered on the cloth are pinecones and seashells, a sand dollar, a starfish, a sea urchin.’
- ‘Echinoderms include the sea urchins and starfish.’
- ‘Thus far there are no serious signs of predation by crabs or starfish.’
- ‘Growth on the hull of the wreck consists largely of small shells with grazing sea urchins and starfish.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.