One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The person or act that gives the most heralded or impressive performance in a program.
- ‘Panto king Berwick Kaler left audiences gasping during his star turn at York's Theatre Royal - by correctly guessing the first name of someone in the audience.’
- ‘For those who just can't get enough of Vin Diesel's monosyllabic delivery, the ex-bouncer makes his second star turn of the year in this high-seas action flick.’
- ‘He was due to be the star turn in the televised Edinburgh cross-country international next weekend, though now his participation is in doubt, as he is understandably grief-stricken.’
- ‘Her performance is pretty easily the best star turn to come along thus far this year.’
- ‘Tony McCoy will be the star turn at Plumpton, and the champion jockey looks poised to enjoy a lucrative afternoon.’
- ‘The rapper Ice Cube takes a star turn as Calvin, the proprietor of the eponymous barbershop.’
- ‘As Mrs Conway, Penelope Keith gives a star turn, not a performance - largely because she appears unable to risk not getting a laugh or appearing unsympathetic.’
- ‘Mirren rescues the newsroom scenes with her star turn as Beatrice's boss, a satanic Wintour like figure in platinum blonde.’
- ‘I, Robot is satisfactory as a story, appealing as a star turn but arresting only as production design - in particular, for its vision of a specific American city.’
- ‘Her star turn deservedly brought down the house.’
- ‘There's even a star turn from a dog for those who find the human actors hard to take.’
- ‘As actor-singer-director, Spacey hogs every scene and makes Darin's short-lived celebrity the occasion for an ego-tripping star turn.’
- ‘And now she wants a repeat performance - she has lined up Manning to be the star turn at a birthday party for her husband Guy Ritchie later this month.’
- ‘The film would be merely a showpiece however, a star turn for its lead actor, if the script did not successfully balance Whale's story with those of Clay Boone and Hannah.’
- ‘He also has fun in his star turn as light-opera composer Arthur Sullivan in Topsy-Turvy.’
- ‘Greg convinces Seth to come into JT Marlin for an interview, which is conducted by Ben Affleck in a bit of a star turn.’
- ‘The real star turn comes - albeit in voice-over - from Valentini, who revels in her offspring's guilt even as she offers cracked nuggets of maternal advice.’
- ‘Michael Radford has made a dutiful film of Shakespeare's play to house a star turn from Al Pacino as Shylock.’
- ‘Instead supercar activity will be kept mainly below the £150,000 mark with the new small Aston Martin, the V8 Vantage, the obvious star turn.’
- ‘Stand-up comic Kevin McAleer will be the star turn on a four-hour boat trip organised by the Pat Finucane Centre in Derry to celebrate its 10th anniversary.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.