One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cabochon ruby reflecting an opalescent starlike image owing to its regular internal structure.
- ‘Eleanor quickly reaches into it, and takes out a necklace with a huge star ruby in the center, flanked on all sides by black pearls.’
- ‘The same series even carried a reference to opaque star ruby, but that has subsequently been removed.’
- ‘Ergo, a star ruby, or any other star stone, is not opaque!’
- ‘Abundant industrial corundum with some rubies (including star rubies) is reported in the Big Sandy drainage in the southern Wind River Mountains in western Wyoming.’
- ‘Of course, being the gentlemen that he is, Roland ‘lavished’ gifts on Cynthia, including a specially designed star ruby ring, a Bulgari watch and a £2,000 Tang dynasty horse.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.