Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bacterium of a genus that includes many pathogenic kinds that cause pus formation, especially in the skin and mucous membranes.→ staph
- ‘It is usually caused by the bacteria staphylococcus.’
- ‘The only organisms isolated were diphtheroids, coagulase-negative staphylococci, and micrococci.’
- ‘The results of this study suggest that hospital fabrics such as drapes, scrub attire, and personal clothing may act as a repository for enterococci and staphylococci.’
- ‘These nodules may become infected secondarily with staphylococci bacteria.’
- ‘MRSA stands for methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus and is a strain of the staphylococcus bacteria which is resistant to antibiotics.’
- ‘Another strain of the bacterium staphylococcus aureus already lives on the skin of a third of the population but rarely causes anything more serious than pimples or boils.’
- ‘Bacterial conjunctivitis is often caused by bacteria such as staphylococcus and streptococcus.’
- ‘Experts found in the microbiology report that baby Harry's spinal fluid and lungs were riddled with the staphylococcus aureus bacteria, suggesting he had a viral infection.’
- ‘It can kill staphylococci, streptococci, salmonella, E-coli and MRSA.’
- ‘Other bacteria that commonly cause conjunctivitis include staphylococci, streptococci and haemophilus bacteria.’
- ‘Patients with blood cultures positive for coagulase-negative staphylococci or other common skin contaminants were not classified as bacteremic.’
- ‘The infection is frequently confused with the more common forms of cellulitis and lymphangitis, typically caused by staphylococci and streptococci.’
- ‘Stallsafe is effective against salmonella, e-coli, staphylococcus, streptococcus, listeria and many more bacteria, molds & fungi.’
- ‘Royalisin, a protein in royal jelly, suppresses certain types of bacteria including staphylococcus and streptococcus.’
- ‘Gram-negative streptococci and staphylococci can be distinguished by their characteristic appearance under high-powered magnification.’
- ‘Cockroaches have been implicated in cases of salmonella food poisoning, and they have also been found to harbor staphylococcus and streptococcus bacteria.’
- ‘In the recent study, the authors identified cell wall deficient streptococci and staphylococci from blood cultures of recipients of bone marrow transplants during febrile episodes.’
- ‘It appears from the data that both staphylococci and enterococci live longer on polyester fabric than on cotton and live the longest on polypropylene plastic splash aprons.’
- ‘Cultures revealed coagulase-negative staphylococci and Staphylococcus aureus on pagers from all health care worker groups.’
- ‘The most common pathogens were coagulase negative staphylococci, escherichia coli, and Staphylococcus aureus.’
Modern Latin, from Greek staphulē bunch of grapes + kokkos berry.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.