One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A beetle of a family ("Staphylinidae") that comprises the rove beetles.
- ‘Significant differences were noted in 2 years for carabids and staphylinids and one year for spiders.’
- ‘Such peculiarities in combination with great reproductive potential and other advanced features of holometabolous insects make staphylinids an evolutionarily very successful animal group.’
- ‘Both institutions have a very long tradition of research on staphylinids and house important historical collections of rove beetles with a considerable number of historical type specimens.’
- ‘Several species of staphylinids are known from this region.’
- ‘Several taxa were reared for the first time, numerous new state records of staphylinids were made and experience was gained in rearing and maintaining beetles in laboratory settings.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin Staphylinidae (plural), from the genus name Staphylinus, from Greek staphulinos, denoting a kind of insect.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.