One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Space available for people to stand rather than sit in a vehicle, building, or stadium.
- ‘There will be seating for 35,000, standing room for thousands more and even a free park and ride scheme to keep traffic problems to a minimum.’
- ‘With the building full to standing room only as he delivers his spiel, there is a definite air of sanctity and reverence.’
- ‘The church holds about 500 people and it was standing room only.’
- ‘We frequently hear that during rush hour many passengers are left with standing room only.’
- ‘It was literally standing room only, with every available seat filled, and many spilling over into the surrounding galleries.’
- ‘The Dance Theatre has steeply raked seating for 180 people plus ample standing room.’
- ‘We were herded into less and less space until it was standing room only, rush-hour train levels of personal space.’
- ‘The stadium opened that year with 125,000 seats and standing room for an estimated 30,000.’
- ‘I have never seen as many people on parade and to see the church with standing room only was a fantastic achievement.’
- ‘In other news, it appears to be standing room only in the room.’
- ‘There is sitting room for two and standing room for a few more.’
- ‘On festivals and special occasions it can be standing room only at the Roman Catholic church of St Mary and St Joseph in Pocklington so yesterday work started to extend it.’
- ‘We have barely had standing room in the waiting area.’
- ‘However the Withington service is so overstretched there is standing room only in the waiting room.’
- ‘Gaelic Park offered standing room only following a wet and rainy morning as the afternoon gave way to a sun-drenched afternoon.’
- ‘He soon had the assembled crowds dancing and swaying on whatever standing room was available.’
- ‘It was standing room only at the Terrace on the Park overlooking Flushing Meadows in Queens.’
- ‘By mid afternoon the decks of the park were standing room only, and it was not uncommon to see a spectator fall into the bowls.’
- ‘It's traditional standing room terraces for those who don't wish to sit in the stands.’
- ‘The department is struggling to cope with demand, with standing room only at times in its small waiting room.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.