One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Space available for people to stand rather than sit in a vehicle, building, or stadium.
- ‘The department is struggling to cope with demand, with standing room only at times in its small waiting room.’
- ‘It was standing room only at the Terrace on the Park overlooking Flushing Meadows in Queens.’
- ‘The church holds about 500 people and it was standing room only.’
- ‘It was literally standing room only, with every available seat filled, and many spilling over into the surrounding galleries.’
- ‘There is sitting room for two and standing room for a few more.’
- ‘We were herded into less and less space until it was standing room only, rush-hour train levels of personal space.’
- ‘Gaelic Park offered standing room only following a wet and rainy morning as the afternoon gave way to a sun-drenched afternoon.’
- ‘However the Withington service is so overstretched there is standing room only in the waiting room.’
- ‘In other news, it appears to be standing room only in the room.’
- ‘On festivals and special occasions it can be standing room only at the Roman Catholic church of St Mary and St Joseph in Pocklington so yesterday work started to extend it.’
- ‘We have barely had standing room in the waiting area.’
- ‘I have never seen as many people on parade and to see the church with standing room only was a fantastic achievement.’
- ‘We frequently hear that during rush hour many passengers are left with standing room only.’
- ‘By mid afternoon the decks of the park were standing room only, and it was not uncommon to see a spectator fall into the bowls.’
- ‘With the building full to standing room only as he delivers his spiel, there is a definite air of sanctity and reverence.’
- ‘It's traditional standing room terraces for those who don't wish to sit in the stands.’
- ‘He soon had the assembled crowds dancing and swaying on whatever standing room was available.’
- ‘The stadium opened that year with 125,000 seats and standing room for an estimated 30,000.’
- ‘There will be seating for 35,000, standing room for thousands more and even a free park and ride scheme to keep traffic problems to a minimum.’
- ‘The Dance Theatre has steeply raked seating for 180 people plus ample standing room.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.