One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Space available for people to stand rather than sit in a vehicle, building, or stadium.
- ‘With the building full to standing room only as he delivers his spiel, there is a definite air of sanctity and reverence.’
- ‘In other news, it appears to be standing room only in the room.’
- ‘It was standing room only at the Terrace on the Park overlooking Flushing Meadows in Queens.’
- ‘We frequently hear that during rush hour many passengers are left with standing room only.’
- ‘We were herded into less and less space until it was standing room only, rush-hour train levels of personal space.’
- ‘It's traditional standing room terraces for those who don't wish to sit in the stands.’
- ‘By mid afternoon the decks of the park were standing room only, and it was not uncommon to see a spectator fall into the bowls.’
- ‘He soon had the assembled crowds dancing and swaying on whatever standing room was available.’
- ‘It was literally standing room only, with every available seat filled, and many spilling over into the surrounding galleries.’
- ‘However the Withington service is so overstretched there is standing room only in the waiting room.’
- ‘I have never seen as many people on parade and to see the church with standing room only was a fantastic achievement.’
- ‘We have barely had standing room in the waiting area.’
- ‘There will be seating for 35,000, standing room for thousands more and even a free park and ride scheme to keep traffic problems to a minimum.’
- ‘There is sitting room for two and standing room for a few more.’
- ‘Gaelic Park offered standing room only following a wet and rainy morning as the afternoon gave way to a sun-drenched afternoon.’
- ‘The church holds about 500 people and it was standing room only.’
- ‘The department is struggling to cope with demand, with standing room only at times in its small waiting room.’
- ‘The stadium opened that year with 125,000 seats and standing room for an estimated 30,000.’
- ‘The Dance Theatre has steeply raked seating for 180 people plus ample standing room.’
- ‘On festivals and special occasions it can be standing room only at the Roman Catholic church of St Mary and St Joseph in Pocklington so yesterday work started to extend it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.