Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who stands, especially in a passenger vehicle when all the seats are occupied or at a performance or sporting event.
- ‘If the meeting is full, such people may also be standees.’
- ‘‘I've been waiting for at least 15 minutes,’ said one standee, who quickly added that she had two children.’
- ‘So each soccer field was likely to have only about 6,000 to 7,000 standees.’
- ‘We just departed New York 5 minutes late with every seat filled and a few standees.’
- ‘They casually cut through the line to the surprise of the many standees.’
- ‘On the steps of the Baseball Hall of Fame library before a huge crowd of over 10,000 standees in a large field in Cooperstown, New York, Ted Williams made history again on a July day in 1966.’
- ‘There is no doubt however, that they were designed predominantly for standees.’
- ‘Ann never left a choice place at the rail during intermission from a conviction that another standee would take possession by the time she returned.’
- ‘Every seat in our coach was taken just a few stops down the line. I have no doubt that there were standees at other parts of the train by the time the train got back to OTC.’
- ‘The train stayed full with people getting off and on all the way although I didn't see standees.’
- ‘My coach was 100% occupied leaving Philadelphia, and had standees from Trenton to NYP!’
- ‘The front row of standees pretty much blocks the view of the rest of the orchestra seats from my shoulders down.’
- ‘Although this train was full, there were no standees in my car that I could see.’
- ‘The Westbound trip is a FULL train, no standees, at least in my car, but it was a very full train.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.