Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Cause (something) to conform to a standard.‘the editors failed to standardize the spelling of geographic names’
systematize, make consistent, make uniform, make comparable, regulate, normalize, bring into line, equalizeView synonyms
- ‘As part of an effort to standardize personnel practices, a year or so ago they revised our department numbers.’
- ‘As playground equipment became increasingly standardized, limited room remained for creativity by designers, manufacturers, and consumers.’
- ‘Although our procedures are standardized, a change in aircrew is always a challenge.’
- ‘This approach would also standardize rules and equalize access.’
- ‘A group of 20 golf courses in the eastern region feel they are paying too many other taxes as it is, and are discussing methods to standardize the taxes in a more equitable manner.’
- ‘School records were used to obtain data on student grades and standardized test scores.’
- ‘Newspapers have standardised language by producing style guides and manuals for reporters and sub-editors.’
- ‘Teachers were constantly under pressure to prepare their students for regular standardised examinations.’
- ‘The tendency to define and standardize product quality lay at the heart of the commodification process.’
- ‘Interviewers should receive training on the importance of standardizing the entire interview process across all candidates.’
- ‘The last two decades have seen intense efforts to standardise treatment options for out-patient management of asthma.’
- ‘Centralization allows us to manage our global knowledge base efficiently, to identify and disseminate best practices, and to standardize our business processes.’
- ‘Patients also reported quality of life using two standardized questionnaires.’
- ‘A major effort has been made to standardize the way in which the data are displayed for the user.’
- ‘He said the bill will standardize the reporting procedures for hospitals across Ontario.’
- ‘As more standardized extracts become available, the accuracy of skin tests is expected to increase.’
- ‘It is easier for people to do the right thing when a process is made more consistent by standardizing the steps.’
- ‘We believe this to be unlikely given the same protocols were standardized across all sites.’
- ‘I used to teach 8th grade history and there was not a standardized test for that.’
- ‘The language has been nationally standardized for more than a century, but regional variations in pronunciation persist.’
- 1.1standardize onno object Adopt (something) as one's standard.‘we could standardize on U.S. equipment’
- ‘If you standardise on one design that means you can constantly improve upon it over the years.’
- ‘That, in turn, isn't likely to happen until the industry standardizes on a few cartridge types.’
- ‘Many companies outside the design professions are standardizing on Adobe Acrobat files for long-term archiving.’
- ‘Most organizations would like to be able to standardize on a single Instant Messaging client on their desktop.’
- ‘Despite the potential benefits, there's a downside to standardizing on a single software platform.’
- 1.2 Determine the properties of by comparison with a standard.
- ‘All measurement readings were standardized using a bright field image of the background illumination.’
- ‘To illustrate this process, consider the procedure for standardizing a solution that is approximately 1 molar hydrochloric acid.’
- ‘Highly purified lauric acid was used to standardize the temperature and quantitative heat determinations.’
- ‘All assays were standardized by soluble protein to compare activity and glycogen measures.’
- ‘He then ranks significant individuals by creating index scores and standardising them for each category.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.