One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The form of the English language widely accepted as the usual correct form.‘children often use native forms at home and speak standard English at school’
- ‘Its grammar sometimes differs from standard English, as in expressions like "Are you no going?"’
- ‘Most inhabitants speak a dialect that is based on standard English combined with African expressions and local slang.’
- ‘Standard English, with correct grammar, is spoken in formal situations.’
- ‘The dialect poems for which he is best remembered were written largely between 1834 and 1867; his standard English poems, written before and after those dates, were preferred by his publisher, Macmillan, and by Hardy.’
- ‘In ordinary social settings, Bajans prefer to speak Bajan, but when the occasion warrants it, they slip into a language that is more nearly standard English.’
- ‘The use of standard English characterizes the upper classes.’
- ‘The influential standard English of Johnson and Austen was also produced by and productive of emerging constructs of nation and empire.’
- ‘The official language is standard English - patois is very rarely spoken today.’
- ‘Standard English is the language Americans are expected to speak.’
- ‘Standard English lacks the linguistic freedom through which his sense of self can be fully articulated.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.