Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A quantity calculated to indicate the extent of deviation for a group as a whole.
- ‘Mean values and standard deviations were calculated for all variables.’
- ‘Average values and standard deviations were then calculated for each of the compounds in the experiment.’
- ‘If no standard deviations were reported then we used the average standard deviation for all the remaining studies.’
- ‘Each value is the mean standard deviation of at least four independent measurements.’
- ‘All costs are reported as mean values with standard deviations.’
standard deviation/ˈstandərd ˌdēvēˈāSHən/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.