Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A group of 500 companies whose average daily share prices are used to calculate an index of the day's security prices.
- ‘The Standard & Poor's 500 - stock index has plunged 45% since its March 2000 high.’
- ‘An investment in the Standard & Poor's 500 - stock index grew to $161,000.’
- ‘It's a measure of risk, primarily the sensitivity of a company's stock price to an overall fluctuation in an index like the Standard & Poor's 500.’
- ‘His 12-month forecast calls for a 7% fall in the Standard & Poor's 500 - stock index.’
- ‘One in four shares in the Standard & Poor's 500 index was at a 12-month low.’
Standard & Poor's 500/ˌstandərd ən po͝orz fīvˈhəndrəd/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.