Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A soldier who is responsible for carrying the distinctive flag of a unit, regiment, or army.
advocate, proponent, promoter, proposer, supporter, standard-bearer, torch-bearer, defender, protector, upholder, backer, exponent, patron, sponsor, prime moverView synonyms
- ‘As a Volunteer he was his Unit's standard-bearer and fought in the 1916 Rising.’
- ‘Caesar records the standard-bearer of X Legion in the Roman invasion of Britain who, seeing his comrades reluctant to disembark, jumped into the surf and obliged them to follow him or lose their standard.’
- ‘The emblem of papal umbrella and crossed keys over a lance on both shields also proclaims the dukes' service to the Church as papal standard-bearers.’
- ‘After the battle of Edgehill in 1642, for instance, the battle site was said to be haunted by the Royalist army, led by their deceased standard-bearer.’
- ‘The standard-bearer and the battalion commander are a scant ten up from me, leading the march.’
- 1.1A leading figure in a cause or movement.‘the announcement made her a standard-bearer for gay rights’
- ‘In many ways Dean is an unlikely standard-bearer for gay rights.’
- ‘Even beer companies, long the standard-bearers of traditional male attitudes, have noticed something different in the brew.’
- ‘When Ali refused the draft, there was no genuinely mass anti-war movement in the country; not long after, he would become one of the standard-bearers of that movement.’
- ‘The original standard-bearers of the U.S. gay rights movement get their due in a new documentary’
- ‘It is the responsibility of judges to be moral standard-bearers.’
- ‘He is, warts and all, our standard-bearer and founder of our Republic.’
- ‘Prince Charles, who stays at Balmoral every summer, has always been the royal standard-bearer on green issues.’
- ‘It was clear that the cop saw him as a natural enemy and a standard-bearer of the drug culture.’
- ‘Perhaps unexpectedly, working-class and rural girls are the standard-bearers of the future campaign for genuine sharing of household responsibilities.’
- ‘Instead, time after time, people who had begun as standard-bearers of the left ended up as right wingers.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.