One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A soldier who is responsible for carrying the distinctive flag of a unit, regiment, or army.
advocate, proponent, promoter, proposer, supporter, torch-bearer, defender, protector, upholder, backer, exponent, patron, sponsor, prime moverView synonyms
- ‘The standard-bearer and the battalion commander are a scant ten up from me, leading the march.’
- ‘Caesar records the standard-bearer of X Legion in the Roman invasion of Britain who, seeing his comrades reluctant to disembark, jumped into the surf and obliged them to follow him or lose their standard.’
- ‘As a Volunteer he was his Unit's standard-bearer and fought in the 1916 Rising.’
- ‘The emblem of papal umbrella and crossed keys over a lance on both shields also proclaims the dukes' service to the Church as papal standard-bearers.’
- ‘After the battle of Edgehill in 1642, for instance, the battle site was said to be haunted by the Royalist army, led by their deceased standard-bearer.’
- 1.1 A leading figure in a cause or movement.‘the announcement made her a standard-bearer for gay rights’
- ‘The original standard-bearers of the U.S. gay rights movement get their due in a new documentary’
- ‘It was clear that the cop saw him as a natural enemy and a standard-bearer of the drug culture.’
- ‘It is the responsibility of judges to be moral standard-bearers.’
- ‘Instead, time after time, people who had begun as standard-bearers of the left ended up as right wingers.’
- ‘In many ways Dean is an unlikely standard-bearer for gay rights.’
- ‘He is, warts and all, our standard-bearer and founder of our Republic.’
- ‘Even beer companies, long the standard-bearers of traditional male attitudes, have noticed something different in the brew.’
- ‘Perhaps unexpectedly, working-class and rural girls are the standard-bearers of the future campaign for genuine sharing of household responsibilities.’
- ‘Prince Charles, who stays at Balmoral every summer, has always been the royal standard-bearer on green issues.’
- ‘When Ali refused the draft, there was no genuinely mass anti-war movement in the country; not long after, he would become one of the standard-bearers of that movement.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.