One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Last or remain popular for a long time.
- ‘The late Thadie Gowran is dead now for almost 80 years but the songs he composed have stood the test of time.’
- ‘It is a classic piece of TV comedy that has stood the test of time but most of the other 82 episodes were completely forgettable.’
- ‘Whittier started playing the flute some time in the late sixties and his dedication to the bamboo flute has stood the test of time.’
- ‘Calry sports is one of the few events of its kind that have stood the test of time and all followers of athletics should come next Sunday.’
- ‘It is a remarkable piece of work which has stood the test of time and is still shown in cinemas around the world regularly.’
- ‘Some of his works have stood the test of time, but the uninitiated reader would have difficulty in knowing where to start.’
- ‘Children from a Horwich primary school danced around the Maypole - maintaining a tradition which has stood the test of time.’
- ‘At a time when the world is changing quickly and we are moving ever faster to keep up with the flux, it's refreshing to know that some things stand the test of time and remain unchanged by it.’
- ‘Majestic and imposing, the monuments have stood the test of time, witness to the ebb and flow of social and political life in the capital.’
- ‘His piano methods have stood the test of time, but one might wonder why his compositions have not.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.