One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fail to keep an appointment with a boyfriend or girlfriend.
fail to keep a date with, fail to meet, fail to keep an appointment with, fail to turn up for, jilt, let downView synonyms
- ‘I stand him up and don't return his calls to give him a taste of his own medicine.’
- ‘I picked up the message whilst I waited at the pharmacy for my prescription and was instantly overcome with a feeling of guilt, as if I had just stood him up.’
- ‘He just happened to take it out on me because I looked like his old high school girlfriend who stood him up at prom.’
- ‘I think it would have been better for you to stand me up than to show up with five day old stubble.’
- ‘In another study, people were asked to imagine a scenario where they had been stood up by a friend with whom they had fixed a time to meet, only to discover that the friend had gone partying without them.’
- ‘I hate the girl who left me waiting for almost an hour before I finally realised she'd stood me up.’
- ‘The ultra-dependable person in your life has morphed into the biggest flake on the planet, canceling plans, showing up late for dates, standing you up.’
- ‘She was forced to stand him up because of her grandmother's funeral.’
- ‘I can't believe that jerk stood you up like that.’
- ‘He rang my cell phone 6 times on a Saturday morning, two weeks after he stood me up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.