One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Be scrupulous in the observance of.‘call me Alex—let's not stand on formality’
- ‘We both know that you know who I am, so lets not stand on ceremony.’
- ‘A wave of competition is coming and standing on formality and baloney is no way to compete.’
Continue on the same course.
- ‘Still the boat stood on; the spray was beating in heavy showers over her, and it was as much as she could do to look up to her canvas.’
- ‘There was risk of collision if the other ship stood on.’
- ‘A small vessel stood on towards them, and anchored before the fort.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.