One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be unequaled.‘when it came to fun, Julia stood alone’
unmatched, unrivalled, unparalleled, unequalled, matchless, peerless, without peer, without equal, in a class of its own, all-time best, inimitable, incomparable, beyond compare, beyond comparison, second to none, unsurpassable, surpassing, nonpareilView synonyms
- ‘But Malaysia stands alone among the airlines flying here to score a marvellous five stars for its economy class long haul seating.’
- ‘This is a historic and momentous occasion in the life of this country and it is an event that stands alone.’
- ‘The television show stands alone with a unique place in the nation's heart.’
- ‘In terms of deaths caused by one individual acting alone, he stands alone.’
- ‘It is a challenge that stands alone, a task that must be taken on without flinching or averting your attention.’
- ‘In a largely stamina-based sport dominated by increasingly young swimmers, the 50m stands alone as an event where power is the key factor.’
- ‘The clinic stands alone as being almost wholly independent of provincial scrutiny.’
- ‘In a year that has yet again seen the world of comic books plundered by Hollywood for source material, one film stands alone.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.