One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of computer hardware or software) able to operate independently of other hardware or software.
- ‘Each program can operate as a stand-alone program or in conjunction with the other component.’
- ‘It can run as a stand-alone application, or directly into Windows Explorer.’
- ‘This model does not have a modem built into it, and it makes sense since this computer is not meant as a stand-alone machine.’
- ‘It's a stand-alone network device, so you don't need to install any drivers on your PC for it.’
- ‘It can access and view images from a remote computer or be used as a stand-alone program.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.