One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(chiefly of a plant or animal structure) having a stalk or main stem.‘stalked barnacles’in combination ‘a thick-stalked mushroom’
- ‘The mantis shrimp's elongate, jointed carapace sports stalked eyes, the most complex in the animal kingdom.’
- ‘Pollen organs have been described as anything from a modified leaf bearing stalked pollen sacs to cone-like clusters.’
- ‘These long-stalked cherries are enclosed with kirsch in a chocolate covering.’
- ‘Glandular trichomes can be found as unicellular, multicellular, and stalked structures.’
- ‘Ambulatory relatives of the stalked sea lilies, feather stars use their arms to walk and to climb.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.