One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A shaft in a building in which a staircase is built.
- ‘Mr Oliver began to descend the stairwells in the centre of the building.’
- ‘During the 1970s, additional, ugly concrete stairwells were added to the sides of buildings, to allow individual access to the upper floors.’
- ‘The facade had brick stairwells at regular intervals, which also housed elevators and restrooms for the workers.’
- ‘Their bare feet are silent as they make their way down the stone stairwells and through the corridors.’
- ‘The joint consists of three rooms of different sizes, which are ranged around a series of corridors and mini stairwells so it's all a bit split-level and interesting.’
- ‘Fire exit doors to stairwells, for example, should unlock when a fire alarm is tripped.’
- ‘There is a smaller loft bedroom, accessed through a second stairwell, at this end of the house.’
- ‘Three fire-protected stairwells in the building provide the opportunity for smaller rentable units.’
- ‘These remarkable shafts are still in place, and serve as the stairwells and lift shafts of Wapping and Rotherhithe Tube stations.’
- ‘He hurried down the hallway towards the stairwell that led to the basement and his apartment.’
- ‘The red sandstone block I am heading for is equally labyrinthine: a network of stunted corridors and dark stairwells.’
- ‘Make sure all your window wells and stairwells have raised lips around their edges to prevent water in the yard from flowing into the well during a downpour.’
- ‘Less than a minute later he had gone past the courts, down a stairwell and opened the fire door.’
- ‘Inside is a veritable cathedral of marble floors, chrome stairwells and crystal chandeliers.’
- ‘On the first floor three two bedroom units will be built around a central stairwell and lift shaft.’
- ‘Items being reviewed include improving the structural stability of stairwells and providing wider exit stairs.’
- ‘Finally, if you live in a multilevel house, definitely put detectors at the top of stairwells, to give early warning of fires moving upwards.’
- ‘The focal point of the block will be elliptical stairwells with glass walls to flood classrooms with natural daylight.’
- ‘They proceeded silently up the stairwells and down the halls.’
- ‘Plans call for new stairwells and elevators in the center of the building, new alarm and climate-control systems, and visitor amenities.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.