One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The state of not flowing or moving.‘blocked drains resulting in water stagnation’‘clotting in blood vessels is associated with stagnation of the blood’
- ‘Constipation and fullness of the lower abdomen are due to the stagnation of dampness disturbing the large intestine.’
- ‘Stagnation of heat in the liver and gall bladder affects the stomach, causing retching.’
- ‘New water keeps the pond fresh and free from stagnation.’
- ‘Barley sprout is used in treating food stagnation and strengthening the stomach.’
- ‘Raw and cold food may injure the spleen and tend to contribute to the stagnation of fluid circulation and the increase in the production of phlegm.’
- 1.1 Lack of activity, growth, or development.‘a period of economic stagnation’‘there is a risk of intellectual stagnation’
- ‘In his hands, spatial autonomy becomes equivalent to cultural stagnation.’
- ‘Socioeconomic problems and stagnation prevented the society from fulfilling its plans.’
- ‘He is a famous painter whose success has brought creative stagnation.’
- ‘Periods of lively musical activity were interspersed with periods of stagnation.’
- ‘During the French Revolution there was obviously a period of stagnation in the formation of collections.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.