Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A play performed on stage rather than broadcast or made into a movie.
- ‘Originally commissioned as a radio monologue for the CBC, Perfect Pie has developed not only into a stage play, but also into a recently released film.’
- ‘Steve knows movies backward and forward, and he doesn't want a film version of the stage play.’
- ‘Death, love and outright comedy entertainingly interweave in Mort, the latest stage production by the Kitchener Waterloo Little Theatre.’
- ‘Ronald Harwood has adapted his stage play for the screen.’
- ‘Since Bangaloreans have a penchant for good theatre, a stage production of the popular musical should be good news to theatregoers.’
- ‘Being a part of a stage production or any production for that matter involves working in a team and to do so well, it's important to trust your teammates.’
- ‘The Shape of Things was written as a stage play and was produced on Broadway before appearing as a film.’
- ‘The writer adapted the production from his own stage play, and each interchange has an authenticity which is the hallmark of a fine ear for dialogue.’
- ‘Alfie, which began life as a stage play, was always more of a performance than a film.’
- ‘With both the stage play and film rights I've been in the privileged position of being able to sign The Cutting Room over to people I trusted and whose vision is compatible with my own.’
- ‘China's own film production started in 1908 when Dingjun Mountain, the stage play of a famous Beijing opera, was shot.’
- ‘Jerry decided that unless he could do more than simply repeat his work as choreographer from the stage play, then he'd rather not work on the film.’
- ‘The opera finally saw a stage production in 1951 which received great, though short-lived acclaim.’
- ‘Originating as a book by Anita Loos and a stage play, this film is a super entertainment from director Howard Hawks.’
- ‘He's currently negotiating with New York producers to mount his stage production of the cult movie Outrageous.’
- ‘The Pink Ladies get a pep talk from Patty in the latest stage production of hit musical Grease.’
- ‘There are the sets, which at times are extremely minimal and look more like they're from a stage play than a film.’
- ‘Acting and being part of a stage production was a childhood passion for young playwright Mahesh Dattani, who is the new sensation in the Indian English theatre.’
- ‘We'll also be looking for an extra chorus and lead roles for the Christmas stage production at Sadler's Wells.’
- ‘There is no doubt that O'Brien can write, but Eden offers no evidence whatsoever that he can write a stage play.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.