One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of the staff of an organization, especially of a newspaper.
- ‘Most ad agencies are lucky to retain creative staffers for more than three or four years.’
- ‘Copious leftover tickets were distributed to party staffers and youth to help paper the room.’
- ‘Fifty years ago, as a schoolboy, I was present at a lecture by a senior staffer from the London Times.’
- ‘The photographs on this page were taken by staffers from one such aid organization.’
- ‘As a Senate staffer, I worked with a group of senators from both parties for such a compromise.’
- ‘We'll get a close up look at the young staffers who keep a presidential campaign rolling.’
- ‘Their members have staffers who can assess opinion by dealing with lobbyists and the press.’
- ‘I realise that this officer was not a staffer, but the issue is an important issue for public administration.’
- ‘Also I suspect at least some of the selections were carefully vetted by campaign staffers to be as inoffensive as possible.’
- ‘On the surface, it appears that Big Blue is firing a huge quantity of staffers just to please shareholders.’
- ‘We have a staffer of one judge receiving bad money; it was even caught on video and all.’
- ‘The presence of special staffers would certainly affect the existing government bureaucracy.’
- ‘For the last couple of years, the newsroom has been unable to replace staffers who leave.’
- ‘It is possible that a tape or notes of the call are already in the hands of committee staffers.’
- ‘Pombo staffers are telling constituents he couldn't make it to the meeting either.’
- ‘The contracts of the temporary staffers had been terminated after the election.’
- ‘It really started with a Government staffer who made a statement that all the social welfare stuff had been shelved.’
- ‘Carpenter told a nurse he wanted medical staffers to do all they could to prevent his death.’
- ‘Every staffer and volunteer was asked to discuss at length, and in great detail, all the aspects of their job.’
- ‘For these and other reasons, editors can depend on staffers to perform their duties with relative compliance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.