One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bloodsucking fly related to the housefly, biting large mammals including humans.
- ‘In Nebraska, where beef cattle are the top agricultural commodity with annual sales of $5.5 billion, stable flies are considered even worse pests than house flies.’
- ‘Scientists from the University of Illinois recently identified two species of parasitic wasps that may prove useful in controlling stable flies and house flies, two well-known pests in the midwest United States.’
- ‘The active ingredient in Solitude IGR has been shown in multiple studies to be up to 100% effective against house and stable flies.’
- ‘For example, as suburban sprawl encroaches on farmland, people have more contact with both stable flies and house flies, creating conflict with livestock producers.’
- ‘House flies, stable flies and blow flies may be pests of dairy cattle kept on lots.’
- ‘Once considered mainly a feedlot pest, the stable fly has extended its reign of terror to the open pasture and rangeland, areas where cattle once grazed virtually unharried by the bloodsucking insect.’
- ‘Whether house fly or stable fly, these annoying, filthy creatures make their presence known.’
- ‘I have a problem with stable flies in my house.’
- ‘House flies and stable flies are not only a nuisance on livestock and poultry farms, but they also transport disease-causing organisms.’
- ‘These wasps parasitize the pupal life stage of house flies and, less successfully, stable flies.’
- ‘You probably will recognize some of the suspects: horsefly/deer fly, stable fly, housefly, black fly, hornfly, face fly, culicoides, and mosquito.’
- ‘The bit of the stable fly is so painful that an infection can reduce milk yield by up to 25%.’
- ‘Removing weeds and brush within 150 feet of pens and spraying the shaded areas of buildings with a residual insecticide will help control stable flies.’
- ‘Now a group of German researchers have blamed stable flies for starting the HIV epidemic by biting the carcasses of infected chimpanzees in meat markets in central Africa before going on to feed on people.’
stable fly/ˈstābəl flī/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.