One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cross shaped like a plus sign, red on a white background (especially as a national emblem of England).
- ‘James himself adopted the new style of King of Great Britain and designed a new flag, incorporating the St Andrew's saltire and the St George's cross.’
- ‘We all wear England shirts on match days and I fly a St George's cross on my car.’
- ‘It's not apathy or a lack of enthusiasm, driving around Lancashire and Yorkshire this week it was almost impossible to find a car without a St George's cross attached, and very rare to find motorists who'd limited themselves to just one.’
- ‘Jenson Button has a new helmet design for this weekend's race, featuring the English St George's cross rather than the British Union Flag.’
- ‘Two new St George's crosses have been bought to fly from the tower of Keighley Shared Church.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.