Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A chiefly nocturnal large-eyed marine fish that is typically brightly colored and lives around rocks or coral reefs in warm seas.
- ‘Most of what you see here are coral fish like various wrasses, squirrelfish, Moorish Idols, parrotfish, angelfish, surgeonfish and butterflyfish.’
- ‘Since gas bubbles increase sensitivity to sound, many ray-finned fish (e.g. herrings, elephantfishes and squirrelfishes) have modified gas bladders and swimbladders adjacent to the inner ear.’
- ‘Holocentridae, generally known as squirrelfishes, consists of subfamilies Holocentrinae (squirrelfishes) and Myripristinae.’
- ‘Fifteen minutes southeast of Boracay, Crocodile Island has a reef where divers can explore many small channels harbouring squirrelfish, soldierfish, cardinalfish and various wrasse.’
- ‘Richelieu also features numerous ledges, crevices and small caverns, providing shelter for squirrelfish, soldierfish, copper sweepers, and over twelve species of moray eels, including the rare golden moray.’
- ‘Lobsters, moray eels and squirrelfish seek refuge in the artificial reef made up of PVC pipes.’
- ‘A squirrelfish peeks out from staghorn coral near Sand Key, Florida.’
- ‘We hovered for a while watching the sweepers being herded one way and then another by black grouper, squirrelfish and the occasional swooping jackfish.’
- ‘Bright red blue-lined squirrelfish loiter, thinking they're unseen, in every shadowy overhang, while even redder soldierfish stay well inside the caverns.’
- ‘Soon I was looking at vivid red sponges in the overhangs at the base of the reef, along with peacock worms and the squirrelfish which have successfully invaded the eastern Mediterranean from the Red Sea via the Suez Canal.’
- ‘We saw crabs, eels, batfish, unicornfish, pufferfish, boxfish, lionfish, squirrelfish, racoonfish, butterflyfish, parrotfish and angelfish, to name just a few.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.