Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small South American monkey with a nonprehensile tail, typically moving through trees by leaping.
- ‘Dandy the Reindeer had to be given regular cold showers while blocks of flavoured ice were being fed to lemurs and squirrel monkeys at Blackpool Zoo.’
- ‘The primate data comprised a portion of the mitochondrial DNA from a human, a chimpanzee, a gorilla, an orangutan, a gibbon, a macaque, a squirrel monkey, a tarsier, and a lemur and had previously been analyzed using MCMC methodology.’
- ‘In recent trials, they tested New World squirrel monkeys and Old World pig-tailed macaques for their olfactory sensitivity to aliphatic alcohols.’
- ‘Just to the south, the lush Pacific coastline is home to squirrel monkeys, iguanas, sloths and 400 species of birds.’
- ‘Two marmosets, two capuchins, two squirrel monkeys and the spider were confiscated from the home of Orlando Lopez on Tuesday, leaving him brokenhearted.’
- ‘He quickly accomplished what many biologists dream of, discovering not one, but two new species: the black squirrel monkey and the Rio Maues marmoset.’
- ‘By comparing GHR sequences from the squirrel monkey, the rhesus monkey, the baboon, and the human with the nonprimate consensus sequence at 24 functionally important sites, we identified 10 amino acid changes in simians.’
- ‘Nida researchers were frustrated in their attempts to induce squirrel monkeys to self-administer THC, one of the psychoactive ingredients in marijuana.’
- ‘Chronic wasting disease proved to be transmissible experimentally to mule deer, mink, domestic ferrets, squirrel monkeys and goats, Hadlow said, although its source and natural mode of transmission have yet to be determined.’
- ‘Researchers in the United States and Japan have previously shown that chimpanzees and possibly squirrel monkeys can comprehend zero when taught.’
- ‘On the canopy above, there are Capuchin monkeys racing across the branches, and a troupe of squirrel monkeys, also feasting on ants.’
- ‘To determine if these results were unique to squirrel monkeys, the researchers performed the experiments again, this time with baboons, and obtained similar findings of neuronal injury.’
- ‘We saw squirrel monkeys, capuchins, spider monkeys, peccaries, kinkajous, coatis, howler monkeys, tayras - a large mustelid that Martyn thought was a tree otter - pacas, night monkeys, giant anteaters and a tapir.’
- ‘We trained squirrel monkeys to either raise or lower blood pressure using operant conditioning technology.’
- ‘Apparently squirrel monkey show little interest in self-administering THC, which contradicted NIDA's contention that marijuana is addictive.’
- ‘The phylogeny of the eight monkeys is relatively well established, except for the interrelationships of the owl monkey, squirrel monkey, and tamarin.’
- ‘Chimps and some squirrel monkeys have apparently been able to grasp the idea of zero, but only after being taught it.’
- ‘There are squirrel monkeys there, too, and some other shifty little creatures that I can't identify.’
- ‘Cabbage, a 16-year-old black capped squirrel monkey has lived at Adlington Pet Supplies, off Market Street, for the last 11 years.’
- ‘Dr. Steven Goldberg and colleagues at NIDA's Intramural Research Program in Baltimore, Maryland, report in the current issue of Nature Neuroscience that squirrel monkeys will self-administer intravenous injections of THC.’
squirrel monkey/ˈskwər(ə)l ˈməNGkē/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.