Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Another term for bracket.Related bracket
- ‘An extra key brings up a list of characters that you won't find on the keyboard, such as the forward slash, square brackets and curly braces.’
- ‘This sentence was spoken in the interview, but without the words around which I've put square brackets.’
- ‘I have corrected a couple of typos and added a few comments of my own in square brackets and italics.’
- ‘As in many printed editions, editorial intervention is signalled by square brackets.’
- ‘I have added my own explanatory notes in the square brackets.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.