One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a sailing ship) having the principal sails at right angles to the length of the ship, supported by horizontal yards attached to the mast or masts.
- ‘The square-rigged sailing ship Stavros S Niarchos was launched in 2000 to provide sail training for young people.’
- ‘Grand Turk, the square-rigged fighting frigate best known as HMS Indefatigable in the TV series Hornblower, returns to Whitby this month before being featured in a film on the life of Napoleon.’
- ‘A few months ago I had the opportunity to sail among the Caribbean islands once again, this time on the square-rigged cruise ship Royal Clipper.’
- ‘The square-rigged, steel hulled, vessel attracted huge interest from locals and visitors during her stay.’
- ‘Though square-rigged sailing ships have just about vanished from our oceans, they have left us present-day sailors with a racial memory of grandeur, power, and beauty.’
- ‘Few, if any, of the divers aboard the JdL for our late-summer dive cruise had prior sailing experience, particularly on a square-rigged sailing ship like this brigantine.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.