1Covered with or characterized by scales.‘a squamous black hide’squamate, squamose, squamous, lamellate, lamellar, lamelliform, lamelloseView synonyms
Relating to, consisting of, or denoting a layer of epithelium that consists of very thin flattened cells.‘squamous cell carcinoma’
- ‘These cells, about 40 m in diameter and termed primary oocytes, are enclosed within a single layer of squamous cells, forming a primordial follicle.’
- ‘Cancer in the upper part of the oesophagus is called squamous cell carcinoma.’
- ‘He presented with a large squamous cell carcinoma on the dorsum of his right index finger.’
- ‘Differential cell counts were made by examining 500 nucleated cells, excluding squamous and bronchial epithelial cells.’
- ‘In some areas, the glandular epithelium showed squamous and transitional cell metaplasia.’
[attributive]Denoting the flat portion of the temporal bone that forms part of the side of the skull.
- ‘The squamous part of the temporal bone may exhibit a sizable, extra process just anterior to the external acoustic meatus, called the postglenoid process.’
Late Middle English: from Latin squamosus, from squama scale.