Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Courageous and determined.‘a spunky performance’
brave, fearless, courageous, valorous, plucky, intrepid, heroic, stout-hearted, lionhearted, manly, manful, bold, daring, audacious, gallant, confident, spirited, stout, undaunted, dauntless, doughty, mettlesome, unalarmed, unflinching, unshrinking, unblenching, unabashed, undismayedView synonyms
- ‘At 52, Moore is still a spry, spunky performer giving all manner of well-rehearsed guitar hero poses.’
- ‘The spunky teen went on to pursue a PhD in neuroscience.’
- ‘I smiled, she was a spunky girl and attractive at that.’
- ‘The Westie's natural good looks and spunky attitude quickly made it a favorite in the American show ring and as a household companion.’
- ‘She's a spunky lass but he quickly becomes madly mistrustful and jealous, believing that Emily's friendship with her godfather Colonel Osbourne is a full-blown affair.’
- ‘The Australian Chamber Orchestra is now 28 years old, but under spunky young director/violinist Richard Tongetti, looks and talent have combined to make it one of the world's great ensembles.’
- ‘I couldn't believe how spunky this little old woman was.’
- ‘Laura said it's the perfect home for her and her husband, Darren, and their spunky 8-year old daughter, Sarah.’
- ‘She plays Jade, a spunky 20-year-old scraping by as a freelance photographer.’
- ‘The old, spunky Madeline was gone and in her place was the submissive shadow of her former self.’
- ‘So Hill did what any gutsy, spunky assertive women would do in her situation.’
- ‘Father did like spunky women, especially if they were panting to take orders from him.’
- ‘Personality-wise, she's the cute, spunky one.’
- ‘Sigourney Weaver heads the cast as the unscrupulous warden, while Jon Voight hams it up no end as her second-in-command, but it's newcomer Shia LaBeouf who stands out as the spunky victim of a miscarriage of justice.’
- ‘I really adored Ella because she's so spunky and free-spirited.’
- ‘They are all pretty stock anime types: the spunky outsider, the brilliant and egotistical warrior, the brooding and sinister leader, the ditzy girl, the mentor, and so on.’
- ‘But he can't help getting attracted to her - she's pretty, spunky, and somehow vulnerable…’
- ‘Obviously you were a headstrong, determined, and… really spunky woman.’
- ‘Although Mrs. Bellmont's brutal treatment cannot break the spunky girl's spirit, it does ruin her health.’
- ‘I saw your ad in the paper and thought you sounded like a pretty spunky gal.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.