One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Italian sparkling white wine.
effervescent, fizzy, carbonated, aerated, gassy, bubbly, bubbling, fizzing, foaming, frothyView synonyms
- ‘Northern Italy is a vast expanse of vineyards, and much of the wine made there is the sparkler known as spumante.’
- ‘In Italy, the region of Franciacorta has the distinction of being the only other region in the world that has laws governing sparkling wine, or as they say there, spumante.’
- ‘In the cellar we sip a dozen wines and a sophisticated but crisp Brut spumante.’
- ‘Italians employ spicy, grapey moscato bianco for their spumante and the Germans mostly draw on Riesling for their crisp, clean sparkling sekt.’
- ‘The light, frothy Asti, the subtler Moscato d' Asti, and other spumante and frizzante all over north western Italy demonstrate another facet of the variety's character.’
Italian, literally ‘sparkling’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.