One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A southern African hyena which has a grayish-yellow to reddish coat with irregular dark spots, and a loud laughing call.
Crocuta crocuta, family HyaenidaeAlso called laughing hyena
- ‘The calving lures many animals of prey, including lions and spotted hyena.’
- ‘Like societies of many other gregarious mammals, social groups of spotted hyenas are structured by linear dominance hierarchies.’
- ‘Back at the campsite, spotted hyenas and dassies can be seen at dusk and into the night.’
- ‘Their enemies are lion, leopard, spotted hyena, wild dog and crocodile.’
- ‘They can eat up to 40% of their body weight in a sitting, which is only equalled by the spotted hyena in South Africa.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.