Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A southern African hyena that has a grayish-yellow to reddish coat with irregular dark spots, and a loud laughing call.Also called laughing hyena
- ‘The calving lures many animals of prey, including lions and spotted hyena.’
- ‘Like societies of many other gregarious mammals, social groups of spotted hyenas are structured by linear dominance hierarchies.’
- ‘Back at the campsite, spotted hyenas and dassies can be seen at dusk and into the night.’
- ‘They can eat up to 40% of their body weight in a sitting, which is only equalled by the spotted hyena in South Africa.’
- ‘Their enemies are lion, leopard, spotted hyena, wild dog and crocodile.’
spotted hyena/ˌspätid hīˈēnə/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.