One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A southern African hyena which has a grayish-yellow to reddish coat with irregular dark spots, and a loud laughing call.
Crocuta crocuta, family HyaenidaeAlso called laughing hyena
- ‘The calving lures many animals of prey, including lions and spotted hyena.’
- ‘Back at the campsite, spotted hyenas and dassies can be seen at dusk and into the night.’
- ‘Their enemies are lion, leopard, spotted hyena, wild dog and crocodile.’
- ‘They can eat up to 40% of their body weight in a sitting, which is only equalled by the spotted hyena in South Africa.’
- ‘Like societies of many other gregarious mammals, social groups of spotted hyenas are structured by linear dominance hierarchies.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.