One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Join by welding at a number of separate points.‘the wire was spot-welded in place’
- ‘Gates should be of heavy construction, with hinge pins spot-welded to prevent easy removal.’
- ‘Another approach is to take a thin-wall tube and just use a sleeve you slide over it and then spot-weld it in place before hydroforming.’
- ‘She planted the stack on the floor, casually but deliberately forcing it six inches into the ground, then repositioned the hood, spot-welding it to its support.’
- ‘Its chief advantage is the ability to spot weld from one side of the work.’
- ‘Today it's cheaper to laser weld than spot weld.’
Each of the welds so made.
- ‘This system not only allows several welds to be done simultaneously, it also reduces weld time from three seconds for a conventional spot weld, to just half a second.’
- ‘The joints proved to be equal to spot welds in bending and rolling tests on the wheels.’
- ‘The joint between the two aluminium panels is said to be 90% stronger than a conventional spot-weld.’
- ‘The robots undertake thousands of small spot-welds, sending sparks high into the air.’
- ‘But it's not like a spot weld - it is a surface weld.’
- ‘These are flash welding, high-frequency resistance welding, percussion welding, projection welding, resistance seam welding, resistance spot welding, and upset welding.’
- ‘The combination is very strong and durable; add to that the fact that in contrast to spot welding, it provides the structural equivalent of seam welding.’
- ‘Structural adhesives and rivets are gaining respect as suitable alternatives or supplements to conventional spot welding and screw fastening.’
- ‘He was last seen doing freelance spot welding in Detroit.’
- ‘The welding load should be appreciably higher than for spot welding, because of the longer arc of contact between wheel and sheet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.