Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Flashy or showy in dress or behavior.
- 1.1(of clothing) casual yet attractively stylish.‘a sporty outfit’
stylish, smart, jauntyView synonyms
- ‘The atmosphere was relaxed and deceptively informal, with low-key lighting and dancers wearing socklets and casually sporty costumes of muted blue.’
- ‘This sporty red knit hat comes emblazoned with the Life Aquatic insignia, while the tight, skimpy blue bathing suit leaves little to the imagination.’
- 1.2(of a car) compact and with fast acceleration.‘a sporty red coupe’
fast, speedyView synonyms
- ‘Daniel isn't championing a slacker ethos so much as he's narrowing his focus on the marginalized and underpaid, the people who don't wear designer suits or drive sporty new showroom cars.’
- ‘He sped me out to the site in his sporty ground-hugging convertible, but, once there, we could scarcely find a familiar face.’
- ‘This is a 2002 Thunderbird: sporty and powerful, so beautiful in design and execution that queuing for it seems rational.’
- 1.3Fond of or good at sports.
athletic, fit, active, energetic, outdoorView synonyms
- ‘Geeky Brett lusts after wholesome blonde Samantha, who's dating sporty jock Cody.’
- ‘And what was great was that they offered all the different sides of girls - you could be sporty or you could be black, or you could be blond and girly, or dark and dangerous like Posh.’
- ‘She tries to be sexually aggressive, sporty (they go to a New York Knicks game together) and intellectually provocative.’
- ‘As I had been competitive and sporty all my life, editing a fanzine immediately became a race to find the scuzziest, most underground bands imaginable and flaunt them in front of my fellow editors' faces.’
- ‘The Women is the story of nice girl Mary Haines (played by Norma Shearer), sporty and straightforward, who loses her husband to shop-girl vamp Crystal Allen, a red-lipped, black-eyed Joan Crawford.’
- ‘Now, I am beginning to be so again once more, although I am not very sporty!’
- ‘Tony was the sporty one and Henry was the swotty one, but despite the differences they remained friends throughout the years.’
- ‘Features such as the stopwatch, countdown timer and thermometer make it ideal for outdoor sporty types, while it's compact and light enough to slip into any pocket.’
- ‘Although their characters haven't been fleshed out, they deliver endearing performances as the sporty sister and her academic, brooding husband.’
- ‘All women are affected by judgement - the ‘non conformist’, ‘the sporty chick’, ‘the brainy girl’, it's everyone.’
- ‘I think it's okay to have sporty characters in movies.’
- 1.1(of clothing) casual yet attractively stylish.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.