One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A high-performance four-wheel-drive vehicle.
- ‘Car giant Ford has instigated a recall of 110,000 Explorer and Mountaineer sport utility vehicles because of a programming glitch in the car's cruise control equipment.’
- ‘He had considered buying a sport utility vehicle when he had last gone car shopping, but had heard in the news that more than a few had a tendency to flip over when their tires went flat.’
- ‘Keep in mind that if car buyers in this country wanted the highest-mileage vehicles, there would be no demand for sport utility vehicles and other low-gas-mileage automobiles.’
- ‘The American obsession with the sport utility vehicle is one I still do not understand.’
- ‘The girls fled in the grandparents' sport utility vehicle.’
- ‘Just another way of fitting in, Stick had chosen a red car, instead of the customary black van or sport utility vehicle.’
- ‘That's why people moved to sport utility vehicles.’
- ‘That's one of the reasons why seats are mounted higher in sport utilities than in minivans.’
- ‘While the U.S. market was in a love affair with pickups and sport utility vehicles, management and technical resources were pulled out of the more competitive European market to cut costs.’
- ‘Granted, women drive most of the sport utilities I see on the road.’
- ‘This facility will create seat systems for Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator - two of Ford Motor Co.'s most popular sport utility vehicles.’
- ‘Last year's aggressively styled Pontiac Aztek sport utility, for example, was derided as garish.’
- ‘Hence the new Mercedes sport utility vehicle parked at his family home.’
- ‘A ball that massive and fast can have devastating effects on buildings, sport utility vehicles, and other objects when fired at close range in urban operations.’
- ‘Toyota 4Runners have stayed close to the definition of a real SUV or rather the original sport utilities - pickups with enclosed bodies.’
- ‘Virtually every car company offers a sport utility of some sort and consumers have a myriad of choices.’
- ‘The strategy also involves a growing focus on sport utilities, pick-ups and crossover vehicles as well as continuing reliance on European production facilities in Britain and Spain.’
- ‘Or wouldn't you like to drive one of those new sport utility vehicles around the city?’
- ‘Next year it will widen its range with the 6-series coupé and X3 sport utility, followed by a small car known as the 1-series.’
- ‘Participants utilize specially equipped sport utility vehicles, dirt bikes, and trucks to carry them through the harsh road to Dakar.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.