Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The asexual process of spore formation in parasitic sporozoans.
- ‘The completion of the sporogony takes between 7 days to 8 weeks, depending on the parasite species, the nature of the vector and, more importantly, the environmental conditions, particularly temperature and relative humidity.’
- ‘The enveloped sporogony is endogenous in spore sacs of sporont origin, daughter cells are formed by vacuolation.’
- ‘In at least two, widely divergent systems, electron-dense extracellular tubules have been observed surrounding developing spores during sporogony.’
- ‘Africa, as is widely known, is a generally hot continent, and so is particularly susceptible to more rapid sporogony.’
- ‘Sporozoites, the product of sporogony, migrate to the salivary glands and are injected into the bloodstream when a mosquito bites a person.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.