One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having or denoting a porous structure or consistency resembling that of a sponge.
soft, cushiony, cushioned, squashy, compressible, yieldingView synonyms
- ‘Later, more flock members tested positive for the disease - also known as ovine transmissible spongiform encephalopathy - and, by law, had to be destroyed.’
- ‘This was considered the first case of feline spongiform encephalopathy.’
- ‘Like mad cow disease and CWD, CJD is a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy that kills its victims by filling their brains with microscopic sponge-like holes.’
- ‘I've been reading up on Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE or commonly mad cow disease).’
- ‘Bovine spongiform encephalopathy, known as mad cow disease, surfaced in the UK in 1986 and has affected nearly 200,000 cattle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.